Thursday, February 26, 2015

A Vintage Birthday

Hello everyone!  I'm happy to be back from Frantic Crafter land...one project I had been working on for a few weeks did not make it to be entered into Frilly and Funkie's "Winter Blooms" as planned due to our relatively short 8 hour power outage, but I'm back in time to post my vintage birthday book/box I created for A Vintage Journey for my Guest Creative Guide spot.

 I am thrilled, but mostly honored to be chosen a second time to join the extremely talented Creative Guides this time on their vintage journey called "Special Numbers". Please stop over there to see all the wonderfully vintage makes by the hugely talented group of artists.  You will be so happy you did! Here is the box I altered to celebrate a friend's special milestone.


Let's get started!  I was so happy that Brenda chose the theme "Special Numbers".  Not long after I found out the theme, I received an invitation to an elderly friend's 90th birthday luncheon, and I knew those special numbers must include a 90!  Tim's got us covered when it comes to numbers, so I had no problem finding all the special numbers I needed for this book/box I made for Martha.  There are some other important dates and numbers in her long, fulfilling life that I wanted to include in some way on this project, as well.

I started with this box I picked up awhile ago at a yardsale.  Pretty, but kind of humdrum from the texture point of view in my opinion and some of  the elements were a little too cute for what I had in mind, so I gave it a good coat of gesso and started from scratch.



I did leave the inside pretty much alone, with the exception of toning down the greenish check with a little more gesso and painting the edges to match the cover.


Starting with the background, I've chosen a few techniques perfected by Tim including:
Paint Marbling

Spritz and Flick

A variation of Faded Layers

Effect Powders

Layering Stencil: Texture Paste

To cover the edges and make them look like pages, I used several Distress Paints and a dry brush.




I left the back cover fairly bare except for some painting, stenciling, and a little sentiment from Tim's Rub on collection.  My plan is to make a little bio with a photo of Martha for the back like you would find on a novel.  I think she may not approve of me publishing this, so you will not get to see it.  I also wanted this surface to be flat as the book is meant to sit on a table.


Next up, the spine.  I used Tim's Crocodile Layering stencil and then muted it with some more Distress paints and added my embellishments to represent the states Martha has lived in, a title (Simple Sayings), and of course, her commendable age. I used a string swiped through Distress paint as a makeshift stamp to make the lines on the spine to make it look like an old volume.




Now for the cover.  Of course, all the painting, swiping, texture pasting, etc. had already been done.  I hated to cover up that beautiful background, and other than the few photos above with the paint, I didn't get an in progress shot.  I added some paper from Tim's Wallflower stash and distressed it. I used a Distress marker with Tim's Marker Spritzer for random splatters.

I used my new Flourish Layering stencil I won on Tim's random draw and some crackle texture paste.

I added a few pieces of ephemera from Tim's Thrift Shop and Expedition packs.  This railroad ticket was a good way for me to get Martha's date of birth on here with the help of a game piece sticker. I was able to circle the month and date she was born.  Isn't Tim so clever to include this piece of ephemera in his pack?  It sold me! There's a Flash card with the number 3 with a bit of musical note Tissue Tape to give a nod to the singing trio Martha traveled with. "Good Times" is from my new for this project Framed Alpha Parts collection, and I've given it a variation of Tim's Altered Surfaces technique--no shine wanted on this one!

I

I've used a few of Tim's dies to make this little collection of framed flowers and foliage .  The Ornate Frame is cut from Grunge board and painted with Distress paints and Rock Candy Crackle Paint with some Vintage Photo ink rubbed in the cracks. The foliage is cut from Distress Color ore card stock and the Spring Greenery die. The butterfly (and the yellow one) are from the ephemera pack (Thrift Shop) and colored with Distress inks.




I made my flowers using the Tattered Florals Bigz die and used stains and inks to color them.  I added the micro beads to the roses just for fun, and the center of the blue flower is made from  a sunburst punch  and paper from my stash.  (The only 2 non-Tim things on this entire project except for the box are the beads and flower center.)

The 19 game piece sticker was scratched up a bit and made to look a little grungier with Distress paint.  I popped it up using several layers of grunge board.



I made my bow and closure ribbon from Tim's Crinkle ribbon colored with  Picket Fence paint (or was it stain?) and Squeezed Lemonade Distress ink on my mat, misted with water (I don't have any stain in SL). I love the crinkle ribbon, and although I've been known to use my huge cache of vintage seam binding for bows, this stuff is hands down the best for color absorption and shaping! 


Isn't that ribbon yummy?


That's all for today!  I hope you enjoyed seeing my process as much as I've enjoyed making this!  I have to say I love Tim's products, and they sure did a great job of covering up this somewhat ordinary box.  This will be presented to Martha at her luncheon hopefully filled with notes from her friends who may have had the misfortune of missing this special party.





Thank you for stopping by and persevering through this lengthy post.  Please be sure to stop by A Vintage Journey for all the other special numbers by the Creative Guides. I appreciate all your sweet comments, and read and reply to each and every one. Hugs and Blessings! 

Sara Emily

I would like to enter this into the following inspirational challenges:

The Mirror Cracked Challenge #6 "Album or Journal Cover" I would consider this an album of sorts, where my friend can put treasured memories of all kinds.

Artist Trading Post Exchange "Alphabet Soup" There is an option of numbers, and I've used numbers on my project.

Country View Challenges "Drips and Drops" I've got lot's of drips and drops on my background.


As You Like It "Favorite Anything but a Card"  Boxes are a favorite of mine, and I like to alter them for gifts and storage.

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge "No Rules" I love a little No Rules challenge!

Inspiration Journal "Love is in the Air"  I love a good altered box, and more than that, I love giving a gift I know will be loved by the recipient! And I love Tim Holtz products, old and new!

40 comments:

  1. Wonderful Sara, so,lovely to have you at A Vintage Journey. I need to come back later to see all the details. Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping in, Nikki! It was REALLY a pleasure to have the opportunity and honor to guest with A Vintage Journey. And boy! I lucked out on the challenge! Gosh, what if the theme was football or something????!

      Delete
  2. I think I am actually speechless, which I'm sure my husband would love to witness!! You always put so much work, attention to detail and TLC into every creation and the pay-off is just phenomenal!! The colours, the textures, the flowers, that frame...it's all perfectly coloured and arranged! You truly are an inspiration my friend!!

    Congratulations on your Guest Designer spot...you really showed them how it's done!! I'm honoured to call you friend! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamellia, I'm laughing at your hubbie comment! Thank you for such generous praise, sweetie! You really know how to make someone's day! It looks like we have had quite a few elements in common as of late! And imagine you going grunge and me turning fluffy! Ha! Ha! I really appreciate all your support both here and at A Vintage Journey! It means the world to me! Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Sarah, I am totally in love with your project and such a great share with AVJ. It was so nice to have you as a guest CG and I so enjoyed your sharing your life on a farm to where you are now! What fun and just became your newest follower! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard, Terry! I'm so happy to read all these lovely words! It certainly was a PLEASURE and an HONOR to be asked to guest at A Vintage Journey, and I'm so pleased you liked it all! I hope you enjoy your weekend, as well! Hugs!

      Delete
  4. This is an amazing transformation! Beautiful gift and I'm sure it will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, what a nice compliment! Thank you for stopping in for a look!

      Delete
  5. Awwww Sara this is beautiful, that frame in lovely and the gorgeous faux rip with the butterfly is such a clever idea!! Your work is always stunning and I always look forward to reading your posts... can't wait now to see your next make. Hugs, Georgie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgie, you truly have made my day with your uplifting comment! I have to say, I really look forward to your visits; I always know I will be in for a treat when I read your comments. Same when I visit your blog! I am just SO behind visiting right now. I hope you have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!

      Delete
  6. Wow Sara, just beautiful! Love all the details, Martha will be thrilled.
    Hugs
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this sweet comment, Jan! Have a great weekend! Hugs!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful project Sara ! The frame is fabulous and the vintage theme gorgeous ! Thanks for joining us at ATP Exchange. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Sue! It's always a pleasure to read one of your comments!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations Sara being GD with us at A Vintage Journey. Your book box is absolutely stunning. Love all the detail and layers, such a perfect gift for your friend Martha.
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! It was such a fun challenge to get to be a Guest for!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your GD spot Sara, amazing transformation of the box, so much hard work has been put into your wonderful and amazing creation, a very inspirational post :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much! It has been such a treat to read all your comments! So happy to provide some inspiration!

      Delete
  10. Sara, congratulations on your Guest Designer spot! I love your art! This book box is absolutely fantastic! I love the colors and all the beautiful details! Amazing creation as always!
    I follow you blog :)
    Hugs :)
    Branka x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you are following (truth is...I know nothing about that! Ha! Ha!) But so happy you have been visiting and leaving all your inspirational comments! I really appreciate it! And a HUGE congratulations to YOU! Well done! Hugs!

      Delete
  11. A beautiful gift for your friends VER special birthday Sara.

    Wonderful step by step details with amazing results.
    Thank you for sharing and for joining in with us at ATP this fortnight
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, Annie! There you go making me smile again! Thank you so much for taking your time to visit and leave this sweet comment! Hugs!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful project and the recipient is so lucky to receive this beautiful gift ~ gorgeous work! Thank you so much for sharing your project and for joining us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for another wonderful, uplifting comment, Emma! I really appreciate the time you take to visit and leave a comment!

      Delete
  13. Hi Sara!! Absolutely Gorgeous book-box for your dear family friend celebrating her 90th b-day!! Just wonderful and Congrats on your Guest Creative Guide gig!! Fun isn't it?! :) You've done yourself proud with this project and I'm sure Martha is going to love and cherish this!! Happy Saturday to you!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shari, yes, I have to say being a Guest CG was truly a pleasure and quite an honor! I was really blessed to have been given this theme...it really motivated me to get Martha's gift done in advance of her party. Now I can take my time with her bio. thank you SO much for visiting my blog and leaving this supportive comment! I really enjoyed reading it! I hope you have a wonderful, restful weekend! Hugs!

      Delete
  14. Hello Sara :) I saw this post when it first came out, and finally have some time to sit down and comment. Sheesh!! First of all, huge congrats on Guest Creative Guide appearance at Vintage Journey!!! What an honor and so well deserved!!! Second of all, your project is absolutely stunning, all the details and textures are to die for!!! So much creativity, I bet I could cut it in the air at your craftroom with my surgically steady hand :) hahaha!!! Had to put that in there somewhere!!! And third of all, I wish you truckloads of health!!! Keep creating all those pretty things and brightening this world with the beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samra, thank you for brightening my day! I love the crack about the surgically steady hand. Girl, I could have used that steady hand today! I really appreciate your visits, and your inspiration to me is tremendous! Hugs!

      Delete
  15. Such a lot of work and detailing a totally awesome book/box love it!
    great to see you playing along at As You Like It challenge too,
    hugs Samantha :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much detail on this stunning project Sara! I really don't know how you find time to do it all! This project is a real stunner and I just love all the painty layers and clever use of the ephemera. Thanks so much for joining us at ATP Exchange. Juliax Again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a wonderful comment, Julia! I'm so happy you like it! Time to craft is well spent, in my opinion, and I find bits and pieces of it in 5 and 10 minute increments. Some day, I will be able to craft all day!

      Delete
  17. This is an eye candy, thanks Sara for sharing all details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shilpa! How sweet of you to visit!

      Delete
  18. lovely mixed media project Sara!
    thank you for joining our mm challenge at TMC:0)
    grtz Jolanda

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a special gift. You lovingly spent so much time on this project with all it's pretty elements. I think Tim's ornate frame will have to go on my wish list! It makes such a focal point done in rust with the flower border. Great job on those as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Sharon! What a sweet compliment! I love the ornate frame and highly recommend putting it at the TOP of your list--you will get much used out of it!

      Delete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am studying your vintage creations and this faux book is Amazeballs! Grungy but soft, awesome textures and colors. TFS! I bet the recipient loved her gift! Hugz! ~Miki

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.